Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have an outlet dishwasher and disposal. This will need to

Customer Question

I have an outlet for my dishwasher and disposal. This will need to be half hot. One controlled by switch, the other needs to be always hot.
I have originally wiring set up of: a white and black from the switch to the outlet and another line with just a red.
I tested the red and black wires and both are hot.
I clipped the tab between the two outlets on the hot side.
I have connected the hot red and the hot black to the gol side of the outlet and connected the white to the silver side... and the ground.
I now only have power on the switch controlled outlet. I had power on both outlets before I clipped the tab, but the switch operated both.
What am I doing wrong????
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
Hi ........the black and white will go to your constant hot plug ......then you have to put a pigtail on the neutral and bring it over to your switch plug and probably the red wire is used for that switch