Tyler Bosch
Tyler Bosch,
Experience:  Electrical Foreman at New West Electric
58520000

My 4ft t8 fluorescent bulbs keep burning out and flickering

Customer Question

My 4ft t8 fluorescent bulbs keep burning out and flickering like crazy. The are all electronic ballast with ballast model number of AK-RC432IP-120. Ballast calls for 32 watt and I am using philips F32T8/TL865
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Tyler Bosch replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** Im here to give you a hand with this issue.
When a ballasted light begins flickering (often accompanied by a faint buzzing sound), it's an indication that the ballast is on its last legs. The only real option, is to swap out the ballast.
If this is a residential application, it's easy enough to do yourself.
The only info you need for a new one is the voltage, number of lamps and style/length of lamps.
I would suggest taking a picture of the old connections prior to removing or cutting any wires. Typically you have your power in on black/white, a ground, a red wire out to the tombstone (the piece the light end fits into) and a blue return wire.
If there are more than 2 bulbs, then you will have alternate combinations of red/blues.
The blue return wire will go to the opposite tombstone as the red I mentioned previously.
As a caution, do not do any of this work on a live ballast. The output voltage of the ballast is much higher than the incoming line and can cause serious injury or even death.
Basically
-Purchase a new compatible ballast using the requirements I've given.
-photograph the connections
-cut out the old ballast and remove
-install new ballast as per your photograph. You will just be matching up the colors.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I have 9 ceiling light fixtures in my garage. Each light fixture takes 4 t8 bulbs. So your telling me all 9 ballasts are bad? Undecided

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Hello?