Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I got the correct 3 speed fan switch, but I can't figure out

Customer Question

I got the correct 3 speed fan switch, but I can't figure out how to get the wires in!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: what else do you want to know?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: That I need to replace the old fan switch and I clearly don't know what I'm doing?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Is the switch a pull chain switch and is it an exact replacement type of switch for the fan model or did you purchase a generic fan switch that is sold at Home Depot or Lowe's? 2) Did you either take a picture on how the original wires were connected or labeled at the switch prior to de-installing it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oops, too slow, I think I got it! We'll see when I put it back up!
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
OK, very good, let me know how you make out. On most fans, the black wire will be the hot wire and will terminate to the "L" switch position. The other 3 wires will be different colors and those control the 3 fan speeds.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Kevin. It works, yeeeaaah! I took pics of the old one and therefore knew where all the wires went, but I couldn't aim right to acturally get each wire in those tiny holes at the right angles! Perseverance won, because I finally did it. Thank you anyway.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Good job on your part:) Many DIY'ers fail to properly label the wires prior to removing them or take a picture or they often purchase the incorrect switch for the particular fan model. Glad that the fan is now working correctly. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks.............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.