Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I have and old pool pump that was working on 120v ,

Customer Question

hello, I have and old pool pump that was working on 120v , now I want to make it work at 240, not sure how to make connections. It isdual voltage pump
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I dont know make and model, label is gone
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Without a label or marking on the pump, it is impossible to confirm the amperage rating of the pump motor. The FLA rating of the pump is required. 2) What is the nameplate rating on the pump motor? Amps & volts?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the motor has a line 1, line2 , ground post and two post 3,4 where I see connectors right know
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no info available on the motor itself 1.5 HP
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the pics', but unfortunately, they don't help. 1) If the motor is a 1.5 HP @ 240 volts, the FLA rating is at 10 amps and the branch circuit breaker needs to be sized at a minimum of 125% or 12.5 amps and using 14 AWG copper conductors.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My question is about the terminal markings and the changes needed to make this pump work at 240 volts. everything else for brakers and wiring it is done
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
1) The single pole breaker needs to be replaced with a double breaker to accept 240 volts.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
that is all done I have 240 at the pump. terminal marking post is my question , please look at the picture where connectors 3 and 4 are the ones that need to be moved or repositioned to make pump work at 240.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
1) In the pic, I see 2 black wires, 1 red wire and 1 green ground wire. 2) A 120V motor will contain 1 black hot wire and 1 white neutral wire and 1 ground wire, I don't see that on your motor. 3) A 240V motor will contain 2 hot wires and 1 ground wire. 4) The branch circuit wires need to be confirmed with an AC voltmeter and re-identified as to which wires are hot and neutral and then re-identified as to which wires are the 2 hots. .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
still does not answer my question about terminal post 3 and 4, where to re position those for 240 volts
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
all wiring from the timer to pool pump it is already done and confirmed delivering 240 volts , green wire for ground , and red and black hot wires, the other black you see in the picture is coming from terminal post 3
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
1) Without having a schematic diagram available, I have no idea as to what wire connects where. Therefore, I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board and perhaps another expert can better assist you. No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once another expert picks up your question.