Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have a question about a recessed light above a shower in

Customer Question

I have a question about a recessed light above a shower in a bathroom. It goes off and on intermittently. I was assuming there was some kind of humidity or moisture sensor in the fixture that caused this. There is another light on this same circuit over the bathtub that stays lit when this light goes out. I changed the fixture thinking this would solve the problem, but it did not. Any ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Your problem could be caused by one of several reasons.1) lamp is too high of a wattage causing the thermal protection to trip on and off. Reduce the lamp size.2) there is a bad connection either in the fixture or ahead of it in another fixture, junction box or at the switch. Check to verify at each box.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As long as I am not exceeding the wattage on the fixture, am I ok? Why would this problem persist after changing the fixtures? Why would both lights not go out if there was a bad connection at the switch?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
I only listed several possibilities. You need to look at any box related to the light, starting at the light. The key may be the installation of the fixture. Factory strips on the fixture leads are always too short and make for bad connections, that sometimes act as your's is. Stranded wire needs to lead the solid wire into the wirenut. Strip the leads longer and reconnect.