Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I tried to hang a pendant light and the ground wire from the

Customer Question

I tried to hang a pendant light and the ground wire from the new fixture to the green screen burnt thru. I've now disconnected all the cables from the light but the other ceiling fan on potentially the same switch (?) is now not working. I have vaulted ceilings and it is in a remote. Have tried the switch the famous connected to and replacing batteries in the remote. At a loss for how to get is working again. I did recap the wires from the other ceiling back and tried flipping the circuit breaker again. Not sure what else to try.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: I never found the switch that was connected to the other ceiling box but it Still came on after I reattached the ground wire. Not sure if fan is related but I am in Florida and the fan is very important.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 10 months ago.
Hello welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** will be happy to assist with your electrical questions. The ceiling box that the new pendant fixture was installed, how many wires are inside this box?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
3 plus ground (red, white, black). Black was not stripped or capped when I pulled the cover off but the other 2 were. I'd like to make that light work on the switch and have it not just be on but my bigger concern was why the ceiling fan a few feet away stopped working. I did get it working by removing the dimmer switch. Which I don't need anyway. I tried to install a replacement dimmer but it still wouldn't work. Currently I have the red and black cables just connected to each other.
What wires are coming off the dimmer switch? Does the fan have a remote? and speed control? Probably doesn't need to be fed off a dimmer.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes the fan had a remote with speed control. The old dimmer didn't even have a knob. I am mid swapping switches, etc. I mean my Dad is doing that for me but isn't here right now. The old dimmer had 2 black cables and a ground screw. The new dimmer has two black cables and a ground cable but I am not 100% sure it is new either. Did I short something when I was trying to hang the light? Because it was working fine before.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
By cables I mean wires.
Ok, so nothing really has changed wiring wise on the fan side of things. But I would recommend you just install and standard single pole switch for the fan. Just to eliminate possible issues. Do you know what switch controls the pendant light? Is there more than 1?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
So I should just put those in an on/off toggle? As far as finding the switch for the pendant no, I tried all the switches around it assuming they worked and none of them turned it off when it was lit. I suspect it is one of the ones by the ceiling fan dimmer as there were two dimmer and one switch although I think one dimmer goes to the dining room. There is one on the wall near it that I tried also. Ahh the mysteries of a new house with a fairly open concept.
Ok. So in the pendant box, there is one cable with black, red, white and ground. With those wires disconnected, now the fan will not work ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It wasn't working until I disconnected the dimmer.
Ok, and so now it is working with a new dimmer?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The pendant is just decor at this point I disconnected all the cables and it's just hanging there looking pretty. The fan works with ten black and red cables connected to each other and no switch, dimmer, etc. wouldn't wok with either dimmer (old or new) attached.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not ten cables, the black wire and red wire connected to each other.
black and red wires connected to each other where? In the switch box? or at the ceiling?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In the switch box
Ok. So you have have the switch by-passed and you have full control on the remote?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes
OK. What else is inside that switch box?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The box contained 1 switch and 2 dimmers. Not sure what else they control. I thought the on off switch was for the power to the fan box and one dimmer was for fan control and the other dimmer ?? It hasn't operated anything so I suspected
Dining ara which still has nothing hanging from it, yet. Also too high for me to reach.
Is the pendant box easy to get at?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have to get on the top step of my ladder but I can reach which is why I tried to do it myself.
Ok, and you had it connected with the red and white wires before?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried I think every combination to find the switch that works it because my instructions only showed how to connect 2
to 2 not 2 to 3.
Well, if you connect it back to red and white, like you had it before, you may be able to find it inside that switch box