Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I have a Honda EU3000iS inverter generator that I want to

Customer Question

I have a Honda EU3000iS inverter generator that I want to connect to a independent circuit from the grid, for my refrigerator,battery charger and a 12500 BTU portable airconditioner unit for uses during typhoon condition. My question is if I connect power through the L5-30R on generator and the user end to an 30 amp master circuit breaker, from there branches out to one 5-15r duplex & one to a 5-20r duplex, before reaches out to these 2 circuits do I needs to go through 15 amp breaker for 5-15r duplex and 20 amp breaker for 5-20r duplex.
Also pls note that not all loads are connected at the same time due to limited current of generator. Thank you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. See the link below for the proper way to wire up the generator to the service.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mike I seem having open the link that you sent, beside the generator are not connect to the grid at all and will be power a few appliances indepenant from the grid power. Thanks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
If the generator is the only power source you can omit the interlock. The connection using a 30A power inlet for generator attachment and a 2 pole 30A breaker should be installed.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
One more thing. Most generators have GFCI protection. If so with yours, you'll need to keep the neutral and ground seperate. If they are bonded, the GFCI will trip.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Mike this generator don't have a GFCI outlet, but have a 5-20R ( rated 20 amp)duplex receptical and a L5-30R (rated at 23.3 amp) with a floating neutral. If I plug in a L5-30P plug can it support 2 different duplex, one with 15 amp, the other 20 amp.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not all outlet are use at the same time, depend on the amperage draws
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Use the L5-30 .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes that what's I'm planning to use but can this L5-30P plug into generator output receptical be feed 2 circuits,1 with 5-15 (15 amp) and 1 with 5-20 (20 amp) recepticals. As stated that not all appliances are plug in at the same time. And I'll monitor amperage of what plug in to the 2 circuits above. Thanks Mike
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Very good, you're welcome
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't got my questions answer.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Use the plug L5-30, install a power inlet so you can employ a cord for connection. If the load exceeds the generator output the OC protection in the generator wiil trip. You can then shed the unnecessary loads at the panel by turning the breakers off. Can't make it any clearer for you.