Rico Soma
Rico Soma, Electrical Technician
Experience:  Service Tech
94766

I am having a commercial office unit remodeled and I have a

Customer Question

I am having a commercial office unit remodeled and I have a licensed electrician who is going to do the work and he mentioned if I buy the can light fixture and install(he will hook up electric to light) I can save some money. I have one canister light that we are going to install in the ceiling and it is 6" in diameter and is flush with the drywall solid ceiling (not drop ceiling). I want to buy cannister but am not sure what I should buy for this application. this is not new construction but an existing office. could you tell me what I need and where I could get it.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Rico Soma replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.There are basically 2 types of 6" recessed cans (housings). One type is use on new work where the ceiling is open (linked one below includes the trim)http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-6-in-White-Recessed-Lighting-Housings-and-Trims-6-Pack-CER105/202025123Or the remodeling type which is used on drywall ceilings that are already in placehttp://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-6-in-Aluminum-Recessed-IC-Remodel-Housing-6-Pack-CAT7ICRM/202057577The other wrinkle is if the can will be in contact (buried in) insulation. In which case you need a can with the IC designator (which the remodeling cans above have. You can also use an IC can with no insulation present.Beside the Lowes and Home Depot you could try a local electrical supply house but chances are the prices at the big box stores will be as good if not better than if yo bought at a supply house.
Trim is also available wherever you buy the cans.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

thank you for your reply. the can light you sent me from home depot looks from the picture like it is not flush with the end of the cannister or flush with the ceiling is this normal?

Also I am purchasing a battery back exit sign with lights as a couple of them are needed per code for this project. There is an option when I go to purchase the exit sign with lights that asks do I want self test diagnostics. Is this something that the exit sigh should have for my application or is just an option?

When the cans are set they are flush. Self diagnostics are a requirement in some locales. Best to opt for that option.
These remodeling cans are in common usage. There are spring tension clips that hold them in place so they're flush with the ceiling. I don't know why you would assume otherwise.