Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

Having issues with our oven and hob in a rented flat.

Customer Question

Having issues with our oven and hob in a rented flat. When switching on the oven at the wall with my othwr hand resting on the metal around the oven it gave me an electric shock. It then continuously is tripping the fuse. An engineer from British gas came and inspected it and said the oven and hob were unearthed and there was a fault I'm the socket. He tested the metal and said it was live. After informing my landlday she is implying that it was earthed and that we have caused the fault. My question which I would love some help with is 'is it possible in any way for us by user error to have caused the oven to become unearthed and so carry a current?' I want to be as informed as possible before she and her close friend who is the electrician come round and blame me. Many many thanks.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Unless you have opened the socket for any reason and made modifications to the wiring, there is no way possible that you caused the problem. The failure is most likely caused by a faulty installation.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have never opened the socket, I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing! Even if part of the oven was to fail it still wouldnt be possible to unearth the wire?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
It is a wiring defect, not of your doing.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Anytime, you're welcome.