Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I replaced my gfci in my garage but my outlet in my bathroom

Customer Question

i replaced my gfci in my garage but my outlet in my bathroom still does not work, breakers are ok as far as I can tell. what is your suggestion
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Is the bathroom receptacle controlled by the garage GFCI? 2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter available?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes to number 1 and no to number 2
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) Temporarily remove the LOAD side wires from the garage GFCI? When doing so, does the garage GFCI work OK and can it test and reset OK?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hello
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
I just replied to you. 1) Temporarily remove the LOAD side wires from the garage GFCI? When doing so, does the garage GFCI work OK and can it test and reset OK?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if I replaced the gfci all that was disconnected and reconnected why do that again
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Because it is part of the troubleshooting process of isolation and elimination. Just because it was replaced doesn't mean that the correct wires are terminated in the proper locations.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am not an electrician. what do you mean by termination
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
once I replaced it my outlets in my garage work. something is wrong between the garage and my bathroom
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Termination = a wire under a screw terminal or a wire terminating into a back-stab hole on the receptacle. If the LINE and LOAD side wires were not terminated correctly, the GFCI will not work and neither will the bathroom receptacle.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the gfci works now that I was replaced
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
But do you have the correct LOAD side wires terminated to the GFCI?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
do you mean are the wires hooked up right going to the socket in my bathroom coming from the test socket
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Located on the back of the GFCI, it is labeled as LINE and LOAD. The LOAD side hot and neutral wire will connect to the bathroom receptacle.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes they are wired correctly
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
You will need an AC voltmeter to confirm the voltages at the bathroom then. So the garage GFCI works OK and can trip and reset correctly?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes it does
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Then either the terminations are loose at the GFCI LOAD side or the bathroom receptacle wires are loose. A voltmeter will confirm if a loose hot or a loose neutral wire.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
everything looks fine. I even replaced the outlet in my bathroom. still nothing working. can it be anything in between i.e. wiring in the house somewhere
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Doubt it. Problems such as this are typically a poor termination. if the GFCI receptacle has back-stab hole inserts, those do not make the correct connection. Wires should always terminate under a screw. Could also be a faulty wire splice. The bathroom receptacle wires may have come loose and need to be confirmed for proper termination. If you replaced other receptacles in the garage, the problem could also be located in any one of those boxes. You need a meter to confirm voltages and troubleshoot the problem. Without having a meter, it becomes a guessing game and a waste of time:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks.............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.