Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

What causes an all electric mobile home loose power in half.

Customer Question

What causes an all electric mobile home loose power in half. At times, I have full power, half power or no power, including my water heater. I have changed some breakers, but nothing changed; I have changed out some outlets, but nothing changed
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Replacing receptacles and breakers is not needed since the devices are seldom the problem in this situation. 2) Somewhere you have a loose connection. If the home is a double wide type, located on the underside of the frame, there will be a splice box or a junction box that joins the 2 sections together. You will need an AC voltmeter to isolate the problem and take voltage measurements. Also perform a visual inspection on the undercarriage splice point and check for loose or faulty wire splices. 3) Another possible cause is that one of the hot phases has a loose termination at the exterior meter socket or at the main breaker lugs on the panel. A faulty or a loose main breaker can also cause this type of problem.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
None of the breakers are loose. Could this be caused from the water heater elements going bad? The power comes and goes in just half of the home. It is a single wide.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) The water heater circuit breaker only controls the heater. The water heater has nothing to do with loosing power on other circuits within the home.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That doesn't help any.
Expert:  Kevin replied 5 months ago.
I provided the possible causes of the problem in my original response. Sorry that my suggestions don't help. I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board to allow other electricians to chime in. Perhaps, they can assist you better that I can. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert picks up the question.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. As the previous expert suggested, you have a bad connection either at the main breaker, conductors powering the service or on the utility's distribution. Without a tester there is no way to determine which of the listed possibilities are the cause. You might be better off calling the provider for a trouble call first to eliminate a problem on their end.