Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I am totally stumped on the problem with my GFCI. When the

Customer Question

I am totally stumped on the problem with my GFCI. When the black line wire is attached by itself, the voltage meter read 120 volts. As soon as the white wire is attached, the voltage goes way down. The buttons on the GFCI will not pop in or out. The green light on the GFCI fades in and out very slowly instead of stayin on. Why does the voltage go down when the white line wire is hooked up?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) The voltage is fluctuating because there is a loose termination or a faulty wire splice that is creating a voltage drop. 2) If the GFCI is wired on the LOAD side, temporarily disconnect the hot and neutral wire from the LOAD side and confirm if the GFCI will be able to test and reset. If testing and resetting OK, then the problem may either be poor connections at the LOAD side or there is a ground fault present downstream of the GFCI. Un-plug any connected loads at any downstream receptacles and see if the problem goes away or remains. If the problem remains, then there is a ground fault or other loose wires downstream of the GFCI. 3) If the GFCI is unable to test or reset when disconnecting the LOAD side wires, then the problem is either a defective GFCI or loose connections upstream of the GFCI.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks.............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks.........Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.