Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

My husband is trying to install a ceiling fan. The unit has

Customer Question

My husband is trying to install a ceiling fan. The unit has white, black, blue and green wires.
From the ceiling there is a bare wire, white wire, red wire and a black wire. How do I connect the unit. I think white to white and black to black. What do I do with the red and blue wires?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. The red connects to the blue. It is assumed that you have 2 switches, one for the light and the other for the fan. If not let me know for further instructions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Mike, We connected all of the wires and neither the fan nor the light are working. Can you please advise, thank you.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Do you have a 2 wirevoltage tester to verify power at the ceiling?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi. Mike, I bought a 2 wire voltage tester but my husband is not sure how to use, Is he testing AC or DC? Which wires should he connect it to? Thanks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.
Set it to the 300VAC range. With the switch or switched on test the black to ground and the red to ground. They both should be 120V. Test the black to white wire for 120V. Let me know the results.