Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My fan has 2 dark pulp let wires one pink, one bare. The outlet

Customer Question

My fan has 2 dark pulp let wires one pink, one bare. The outlet fans screws, 1 black, 2 copper, 1 green. Green is bare, ground. How donInwire pink and purple? George
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Any suggestion?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: Light were permanently stuck in on position.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Did you replace a pull chain switch? If so, did you label the wires and is the pull chain switch an exact replacement type or a generic replacement? 2) I need more details as to the problem?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. Same poll chain.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All I did was remove one switch box.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do you need more information?
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) You removed a wall switch?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes. I bought one to replace the attached one. I removed the wires. That's how I know the colors.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The new switch I'd different from the old one. That is why I need help.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
OK, Thanks. 1) What type was the original wall switch? A single pole or a 3-way or other type? 2) How many wires were terminated to the original switch and the wire colors? 3) How many wires and the individual wire colors at the ceiling fan box?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In the old one, the purple wires were wrapped around copper, pink stuck straight in and bare wire stuck in.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Single pod, and there is another that I have not opened yet.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know which switch is bad.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I said single pod. Sorry. It is a 3 way switch.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) What is the intent of your project? Are you just replacing one 3-way wall switch? I need to understand the scope of work? 2) A 3-way switch will contain 3 wires (excluding the ground connection). A 3-way switch contains 2 brass screws and 1 black screw. I need to know the wire colors on each screw?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I explained this wrong. This is a switch next to the lights/ceiling fan. It is embedded flood ceiling lights. Two switches. If I open the other box, can I use that as a guide to wire this? 2 purples to copper, 1 pink to black?
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) Other than white, gray, green or bare copper wires........... pink, black, purple wire colors don't mean anything as any of these can be utilized as hot or traveler or switched loop wires. The existing and/or original wiring configuration needs to be confirmed. 2) Either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester ( a contact type) or an AC voltmeter will be required to confirm the functionality of the wires. 3) Sorry, but I am not understanding your intent on the project. I will opt out of the question and perhaps another electrical expert here can assist you better. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified once another expert picks up the question. Thanks.