Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Battery not charging genset fails when battery goes flat

Customer Question

battery not charging genset fails when battery goes flat
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) The problem can be one or more of the following: A) Faulty regulator not producing the correct voltage output.B) Problem with the generator stator.C) A dead spot on the stator....... ie....... corroded armature windings or cheap aluminum wires coated with copper on the windings and it is worn out or burnt through.D) Loose or open control wire lead.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The Dynamo has an internal regulator Its new
The output from the generator itself is very good. The Kubota engine has a dynamo instead of an alternator to charge the battery.
A check of all wiring turns up no faults.
The new Dynamo has two extra white wires not in a harness or plug
The Dynamo that we removed did not have these wires and there are no open plugs or lugs for them to attach to
The new Dynamo is the same part number as the old one
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The manual does not address these extra wires
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.
If the manual does not reference the extra wires, your guess is as good as mine. Have you contact Onan tech support?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes and they want me to travel 1.5 hours for an expensive diagnostic check that would take several days
This is a generator in a work truck and I have a very rigid schedule
I can keep going by charging the battery nightly on a charger
I paid your fee because you are experts in your field. So far you have not met my expectations which I believed to include some research into the problem.
All you have given me is what I already know.
How about a little more bang for my bucks? If not then u expect a full refund.
Respectfully
Bill
Expert:  Kevin replied 10 months ago.
I recommend that you take Onan's advice and have them perform the diagnostic testing. Only a factory certified technician should be servicing a generator since each manufacturer has their own specific spec's. Sorry that I did not meet your expectations. Therefore, I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board and perhaps another electrical expert can assist you better.