Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 6 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I want to put two 20 amp breakers in a GE breaker box where

Customer Question

I want to put two 20 amp breakers in a GE breaker box where there once was a breaker for an air conditioner. there doesn't appear to be a bus bar connection that will accomodate the breakers. They fit on the other side of the box but not where the air conditioner breaker was. FYI the empty space was there when I opened the panel so I didn't remove the air condition breaker.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Some panels are not rated for tandem breakers and other panels may only have a limited quantity of locations for a tandem breaker. 2) If a panel is rated fro tandem breakers, the locations allowed are typically towards the bottom spaces of the hot bus bar. 3) If the hot bus bar stabs contain a notch, then tandem breakers can be installed in that position.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can single pole breakers be put in these spots?
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
1) Yes, a full size single pole breaker can be installed whether the bus bar stab is notched or not.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is in an older 100 amp GE breaker box. There doesn't seem to be a notch for the single pole breaker.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
1) Take a look at the label on the panel and will it say if it is rated for tandem or mini breakers. Some panels are not rated for tandem types. If the hot bus bar stabs do not contain a notch, the panel won't accept tandem breakers. 2) If tandems are not allowed, the other option is to install a boxcar sub-panel directly next to the existing panel. The sub-panel will allow for future circuit growth.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't want to install a tandem breaker. I want to install two single pole breakers where the tandem breaker was.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
1) A full size breaker is approximately 3/4" wide. Only (1) one full size single pole breaker can be installed in a slot and not 2 separate full size breakers. Impossible to install 2 full size single pole breakers where 1 previous tandem breaker existed. Wont fit:) 2) Refer to the link shown below for various examples. Look at the panel label diagram. http://www.ashireporter.org/homeinspection/articles/inspecting-tandem-circuit-breakers/2047
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The breakers for this panel are only about 3/8 - 1/2 inch wide. There are two single pole breakers on the opposite side of the panel across from this space.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Send me a picture of the panel label and a picture of the panel with breakers installed and a picture of the bus bar stabs empty located towards the bottom of the panel so I can see what you have in place.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately I am not at that location now. How can we continue this conversation tomorrow.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Sure, that is not a problem. I am logged on here everyday from 0700 hrs till around midnight (CST). Just come back to this same question and reply back to me like you have been and we can continue. In the meantime, have a good evening and we'll catch up with you tomorrow. Thanks............Kevin:)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
No problem, glad to assist. Take care.........Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks................Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...................Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)