Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

How to wire a single pole electric timer

Customer Question

Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Does the existing wall switch box contain a group of white neutral wires that are spliced together? 2) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter to confirm the LINE side (hot wire) on the existing single pole switch? 3) What are the 2 wire colors that terminate to the existing wall switch?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not have a volt meter. I can send you a picture
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) You will need either a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter to identify and confirm which wire is the hot wire that feeds the switch. Without a tester, you will be guessing on the correct wire which can possibly damage the new Defiant timer switch.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. Will pick one up later today when i wake up
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
OK, Very good. Make sure the tester is a 2 wire contact type or an AC voltmeter. Then reply back to me. I will still need to confirm if the wall switch box contains a white neutral wire or a group of white neutral wires that are spliced together? This Defiant model timer requires a neutral connection.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks................Kevin:)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Kevin,
I wont be back there till next Thursday to work on that timer, so I will reach back out to you then and close out this after we are successful if that is good with you.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Sure, not a problem. Just reply back to me when you are ready and we can continue. In the meantime, have a great weekend...........Thanks................Kevin:)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Kevin are you available, I have the multimeter.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I am available. 1) Before we measure for voltage, does the existing wall switch box contain a group of only white neutral wires that are spliced together? The Defiant timer model requires a neutral connection. Without it, the timer won't work. Please confirm the quantity and wire colors inside the wall box and we can continue. Thanks...........Kevin:)
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is pic of the box
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When i get to house will take pic of multi meter
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the pics 1) If the picture is that of the existing wall switch box, there is no neutral wire in that box. The white wire is being used as the hot circuit feed into the switch and is not a neutral. The black wire on the switch is being used as the LOAD side wire. The only way to install the Defiant timer is to de-install the existing Romex cable and install a 14/3 cable that has 3 conductors. Not worth it in my opinion. Take the Defiant timer back to the store and get a refund and purchase an Intermatic series ST101 timer which does not require a neutral wire. See link shown below for the ST101 model which is sold at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Intermatic-15-Amp-Heavy-Duty-Astro-In-Wall-Digital-Timer-ST01/203954917
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok Will do. Thanks well i guess i need to close this one out and go get new timer and set up a new session
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
No problem, glad to assist. Don't feel bad about not having the neutral wire in the wall switch box. Many wall switch boxes do not contain a neutral wire. However certain timer and/or Occupancy Sensors models that are sold within the past 10 years now require a neutral connection. The Intermatic timer model is the best option and also a better quality timer than the Definant model. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks................Kevin:)