Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I need the best solution a 20apm 120v socket to

Customer Question

I need the best solution for wiring a 20apm 120v socket to an RV 50 amp 120 plug. I know the 50 amp has two 120 lines so I am not sure what to do.
I realize this is less than ideal and am only going to put a minimal load on the RV.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Is the outlet for only one location or is it intended to be for RV sites only providing a 50A outlet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is just for one location to get by until an electrician can wire up a proper 50apm plug.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a residence.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 20apm outlet is on a dedicated breaker with no other loads, and the proper gauge wire. It was installed for a hot tub.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
The installation will involve the same labor for the temp set up, so I suggest installing that required for the 50A. Your last message changes the approach. How far away is the tub from the RV? Is there an outlet at the tub or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes there is a 20amp outlet. The hot tub is gone so no shared load. I am good with soldering and basic electrical work and understand the risks, this is a bit of an emergency as a family member was evicted from their home and needs a place to live.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The RV is roughly 50' from the 20apm outlet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am capable of making the cable if I get the advise on the pinout.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And I will get the largest gague wire possible to account for the distance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's just to run the fridge and fans.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
You'll need a #10 wire extension cord is all for a temp connection to a GFCI receptacle. A #12 may be used if it is only for a few lights and receptacles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But what about the connection RV side?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And yes the 20amp is GFCI
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
At the RV a made up cord set having a 50A female cord cap and a 20A plug on a 3 wire cord, leaving one hot on the 50A plug not wired. This will energize half of the RV. If the outlets required don't energize, move the hot wire on the 50A female cord cap to the previously termination not wired.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10/3 100' extension cord should work, yes?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
That would work just fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
One more thought on the installation. If you ran a 6/3 UF cable from the panel to the RV, put it on a 50A breaker it would serve as a temp and could be used in the permanent installation, thus saving the expense for a 120V temp.