Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Im trying to wire a light fixture into my garage. The new

Customer Question

Hi Im trying to wire a light fixture into my garage. The new light has black white and green wires. The pre-existing wire has red, white, black and a brown. The red and white wires are what were actually wired to the light. Does that make the brown wire the ground and I should attach it to the green on the new fixture?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Was the garage wired using EMT metal conduit? 2) Temporarily back the wall switch out from the box but DO NOT disconnect any wires from the switch. How many wires and what are the wire colors that are terminated to the wall switch? 3) How many and what are the wires colors at the garage lighting box? 1 red, 1 white, 1 black and 1 brown or additional wires? Are these wires all single wires at the garage box or are any of them spliced together?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Attaching a pic so you can see.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the pic. 1) Those are Romex cables at the box. The ground wires are bare copper and not brown. The bare copper ground wires will get spliced to the light fixture green ground wires. 2) Temporarily back the wall switch out from the box but DO NOT disconnect any wires from the switch. How many wires and what are the wire colors that are terminated to the wall switch?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are some white wires that are wire nutted together behind it but actually connected to the switch are 2 black wires, a pink wire, and a bare copper wire on the top left hand side.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A pic of the switch
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) Romex cable does not contain pink, that is a faded red wire. 2) The red wire at the ceiling box is the switched loop conductor that extends from the wall switch. 3) Splice as shown below: A) Ceiling red to light fixture blacksB) Ceiling white neutrals to the light fixture white neutralsC) Ceiling bare copper grounds to the light fixture green grounds.D) Leave the 2 black wires at the ceiling box spliced as-is. Reply back to me and let me know if the light fixture is working properly...........Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks................Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...................Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)