ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.

Have a 14RES Kohler generator with a Main Power Overload message.

Customer Question

Have a 14RES Kohler generator with a Main Power Overload message. I have tried to clear the fault but it immediately faults again. I have installed a new battery and no luck. Manual says to contact a dealer but my Gen is in Mexico and I have had little luck getting someone. The home us off grid and also getting an AC inverter overload message but I can reset the inverter. Could a new pump motor (or landscaping irrigation) installed about the time of fault be wired incorrectly causing these faults? Any help is appreciated.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 5 months ago.
Welcome to
Assuming the loads you mentioned are fed thru a breaker or disconnect switch, you should be able to isolate those loads, possibly one at a time to determine if the load is the problem. If this is not possible, turn the breaker(s) in the unit off to see if this resolves the problem. What size is the pump and other loads? What voltage are they rated for? Thanks
Expert:  ProGrade replied 5 months ago.
Any progress on my suggestions, questions? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not yet back in Mexico but I can't reset the Generator to operate to see what the fault is coming from.