Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have an overhead light in my kitchen that will turn off after

Customer Question

I have an overhead light in my kitchen that will turn off after a minute or so. It is an LED light so heat doesn't seem to be an issue.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: This has been a problem for awhile. I originally replaced a fluorescent fixture that kept going out. You could sometimes hit it and get it to come back on again. I tried replacing the bulb but it didn't work, so I ended up replacing the entire fixture with a new LED light. Worked for about a week and then started going out.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: The light switch only has two black wires running to it and no ground. I assume this circuit was put in after the house was built as it comes off of a electrical outlet circuit that runs in the master bedroom close to the light switch.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) What type of wall switch controls the LED? A single pole ON/OFF traditional snap switch or a dimmer switch? 2) What is the frequency that the light turns OFF? Every few minutes or once a day or other?