Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I live in an old house and I want to add a GFCI outlet next

Customer Question

I live in an old house and I want to add a GFCI outlet next to my light switch so that I can give power to my tv. Seems like the power source is going to the ceiling light/fan first, then to the (2wire romex) single pole switch (where I want to add a GFCI outlet). It only has 2 wire cable.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What do I need to do and purchase?
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.
Hi you have to bring in another wire from elsewhere .......possibly an outlet close by ..........the wire from the switch is just that a switch wire not a power sourcedoes the romex have a bare copper ground wire?....... or is it a really old house with no ground wires? .........and why do you need a GFCI it isn't a wet location?...............did you mean a surge protector?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for responding,I am not able to bring another wire from the source(light/fan to switch) because I can't tear holes on the walls and there is no ground wire.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Really old house, uses fuses instead of breakers. I'm not able to add any fuses by the way. Landlord too strict.
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.
you can also use what is called a raceway that would enclosed the wire in a track from a nearby outlet if you wanted to
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here is my scenario:
1.power source to ceiling light/fan (2wire cable no ground)
2.ceiling light/fan to switch (2wire cable no ground)My question, can I add an outlet that can be live at all times?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My question, can I add an outlet that can be live at all times from the switch that is being used to turn on/off the the ceiling light/fan? Or can I add the wire the outlet that can be live at all times then add the switch to turn on/off the ceiling light/fan?
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.
you still have to bring in another wire
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.
you need a live feed ..............i think you are asking if you could tap off of a switch wire and you can't
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.
I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!Thankseddie