Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

My ceiling fan/light hums but won't come on. The light works

Customer Question

my ceiling fan/light hums but won't come on. The light works by the wall switch and the pull chain, but the fan works neither way..
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Your problem appears to be a failed capacitor. You'll need to drop the light fixture and inspect the components in the bottom of the fan housing. You'll see a square plastic part with wires coming out of it. Usually when they fail the outside of the capacitor will be deformed by heat. A replacement can be obtained at a link below. To remove it take special notation of the wire connections by color. http://WWW.eceilingfans.com
Expert:  april pelletier replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is***** be a bad fan motor. By the time you take it apart and replace parts inside its just easier to replace the fan.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
Please disregard the post from April. She is a new expert and shouldn't post to another expert's working questionn. The problem you have is common and the suggested repair is what usually corrects it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you mike
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
Anytime, you're welcome.