Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I just installed one 12730 Z-wave Smart fan switch and two

Customer Question

i just installed one 12730 Z-wave Smart fan switch and two 12722 Z-wave Wireless Lighting Control on/off switches. The wires are properly connected including the white neutral wires along with the ground, load and line wires. The switches are not powering up. The fan switch is next to a regular toggle light switch that I did not change. The fan light switch works ok; the fan lights are coming on. The other two switches are for an on/off fan and companion light. The companion light is a three-way; the separate switch for the fan light does not work either. Can you help me on this? Thank you.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The only thing I can think of is that the neutral line is not working or is disconnected somewhere.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not have a multimeter or circuit tester.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The fan switch is on a different circuit than the other two switches.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just put the old switches back on the two on/off switches for the fan/light. The light works from both of the three way switches. The fan is not working; probably shorted something in taking out the original, putting the GE switch in, then doing the reverse.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just restored all the original switches. Everything working ok, both lights and fans, as before. Not sure how the GE fan switch stopped the other fan from working.
Expert:  stan weisbeker replied 7 months ago.
HI.I will try and answer your question of concern, although you really should have ( just have) the fan circuit on the same circuit as the lights for the Zwave or any other switch to work for you.. Its for safety....The switches you have are listed as the 12730 and 12722.... for fan control.. which seems correct... however you must connect the fan and lighting on the same breaker and in the same box for the control to work properly.. or you will be asking for a very dangerous situation.... Without seeing the actual configuration you have, I can only come up with what I see in my mind's eye.... but first... you must have all the wiring in the same box... Can you move the fan wire to the lighting box easily???
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The fan is on a separate breaker than the fan light, but both are in the same box. I would prefer to call an electrician to change wires on the breaker box as I am not comfortable doing this on my own. There is another fan on the same breaker at the other; I put a non-fan zwave switch just for on/off which did not power up. There is a companion three way fan light on a different breaker for this second fan as weel. Even so, the zwave light switches do not power up on other multi-switch gangs on separate breakers. I checked some outlets (not the switches) using a tester and they are good; no open neutrals. I am not sure why the zwave switch placed on the single gang, single pole switch works while the same switch will not power up on other single pole switches in multiple gangs. Thanks for helping out. I really appreciate it.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Correction:. The box with the first fan and the fan light are on same breaker. The second fan is the one on a separate breaker from the 3 way light. Sorry about that. I tried putting a zwave light switch with the fan that is in the same box and on the same breaker but that did not work either.