Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

This is a 2 part question: 1: the light kit on the ceiling

Customer Question

This is a 2 part question:
1: the light kit burnt on the ceiling fan. So I bought another (same name brand) and all it does it make this kind of ticking sound. I'm not sure if the light kit is defective or if I need to change the entire ceiling fan.
2: this is my 3rd ceiling fan light to go out in about 2 months. Could I be getting surges from the power company?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
Hi Casey ........do you know what breaker turns on and off the ceiling fan?............there should be a number on the switch ....maybe 15.......20.......30....and is it a double switch with a bar that operates both switches at the same time...........and you have only had this fan installed for 2 months..............was there anything on there before ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's a single switch with a 20. This fan is probably 4 years old. The ones that have gone out have been on different breakers.
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
what do you mean the ones that have gone out were on different breakers?........other light kits?...............there is a step down transformer for the light kit that is in the fan hub by the ceiling ............it could very well be that that needs replacing
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah, other light kits have went out sporadically in other bedrooms. An electrician came and he said I wasn't getting surges. It just seems to quicidental.Is the transformer something I can change and find at lowes?
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
probably .....................I would search online before you go .......you might have to pick one up direct from the manufacturer........you will need info which might mean taking the fan down and getting a numbers off of the transformer........................if you do that look to see if they are all properly grounded .......meaning if the ground wire to the fan is making a good connection to the ground wire coming into the box...............you might be able to get the transformer by just the make and model of the fan too
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!Thankseddie