Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I rented a Wacker 5600 generator food truck and it faults

Customer Question

I rented a Wacker 5600 generator for my food truck and it faults the second I plug it in. The truck is wired for 60am with a land transfer box (fully inspected with an ESA cert). The land power outlet is 2 phase 30 amp as well as the warehouse plug. There are no issues with the cab tire or outlets and when plugged into the warehouse no breaker issuses at all. When I plug into the appropriate outlet on the generator it faults instantly. We tried two different genies with the same result. I neve tried with all power off in the truck with again the same results. Total head scratcher, any ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
The bonding is the problem. Float the generator ground at its inlet.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
The reason it faults is it more than likely has GFCI protection. The fault is having the ground and neutral connected in the panel. On the shore power it should also be separated but will still work.