Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I am off th God and my generator failed . I was able to borrow

Customer Question

I am off th God and my generator failed . I was able to borrow one while mine is in the shop. The problem is that my generator has a l5-30r outlet and the borrowed gen has a l14-30r. How do I make this work?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Unfortunately, it won't work. 2) A NEMA rated 15-30R is a 3-phase 240 volt receptacle. A NEMA rated 14-30R is a single phase 120/240 volt receptacle. Can't mix electrical phases and voltages since they both must be the same. A phase converter would be required. 3) If the electrical panel is a single phase and is capable of 120/240 volts, then a 30 amp power inlet, a 30 amp double pole circuit breaker and an Interlock device could be installed to back-feed the generator to the electrical panel.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
1) Just re-read your question and need clarification? Is the original generator a NEMA 5-30R which is capable of single phase 120 volts @ 30 amps or is the receptacle a 15-30R which is a 3-phase/240V type?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Original is L5-30r
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
OK, that is what I thought. Just wanted to confirm. Therefore, disregard my previous comments as I was thinking you had a NEMA 15-30R which is a 3-phase. 1) A 5-30 receptacle is only capable of 120 volts @ 30 amps. A 14-30 receptacle is capable of a combination 120/240 volts @ 30 amps. A 14-30 contains 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground wire. 2) Therefore, you could make up a cheater cord with a male 14-30P plug on one end to plug into the generator. Instead of connecting the 2 hots at the 14-30P plug, you can connect only (1) one hot wire. This will now limit the generator output to only 120 volts @ 30 amps. 3) At the other end of the cord, you can install a 5-30R (3 prong female receptacle) which will contain 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 equipment ground. Thus the voltage output will = 120 volts which will match the generator output of 120 volts. 4) Since the generator receptacle is 30 amps, the cord conductors will require to be 10 AWG copper. A 10 AWG copper wire is rated for a maximum of 30 amps. 5) Are you intending on backfeeding the generator power into a main electrical panel or what is the application being used for?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The generator charges my batteries on rainy days, which we get a lot of in east Hawaii.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the confirmation. 1) The cheater cord would then provide you with 120 volts/single phase AC from the gen set, to plug in a battery charger. This would work exactly like plugging a 120 volt battery charger into a 120 volt receptacle if you were grid tied.....ie...... same result and same output voltage. Your thoughts?
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks................Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)