Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Got a used dryer son - plugged in and doesn't turn on.

Customer Question

Got a used dryer for my son - plugged in and doesn't turn on. Previous owners said it worked. I'm wondering if the outlet is hot. I found a speedy digital multimeter and am reading yo see about checking the outlet.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: Just that I am fairly handy but timid on elec front.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Thank u!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Is the dryer an electric or a gas dryer? 2) Take a look at the wall receptacle. I need to know the NEMA rating on the receptacle? 3) Is the dryer cord a 3 or a 4 prong plug?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1. Elec dryer
2. Will have to get back on that -it's at my sons house
3. Outlet has 3 prongs with one bring an L shape.Using a "southwire" AV voltage detector it indicated there is power at the outlet. This brings me back to the dryer itself.It's an Amana Heavy Duty. When pushed on, it doesn't start. Attached pix - any advice?
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the replies and pictures. 1) Refer to the diagram shown below. Is this the wall receptacle that is installed? If so, I need to know the voltage measurements at the recetpacle?
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...........Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks................Kevin:)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Kevin-
Sorry for slow reply, as I mentioned the dryer is at my sons house. The image you sent is the right look however it looks like ours is a "cooper" . Also my digital multimeter is not giving correct readings in test mode so I need to get a fresh battery. Once I do that I will test the meter tool and if it reads correct I will then attempt to get actual reading on the outlet. I have to go out of town for a week now so this will linger a bit longer. Please be patient with me - thank you so much. Images attached of plug.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for the replies and the pics. Yes, that is a typical 30 amp dryer receptacle. If you can take the different voltage measurements, this will help isolate the problem. Thanks and have a great day............Kevin:)