Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

Hope things are going your way. I bought a squirrel cage

Customer Question

Hi, hope things are going your way. I bought a squirrel cage fan with a GE 5ksp29kk1722s motor in it. It has a naked ground attached to a bolt on the side of the cage with 3 wires coming out. Red white and black. I tried to look this up but I kept finding varied results and surely dont want to burn this motor. It is 2 spd 1 phase 115v 60/50hz i think 5.7amp.. anyway i'm pretty sure the white has to be on the silver screw inside the male plug im putting on it. And ive been taught black goes on gold screw. But the sites ive found say diff. Things- some say black is hot some say black is hi red is low. Some say use the white on one side, and attach which spd/wire you want with the hot wire.. i just need a little clarity of which 2 wires i need to use inside my plug for it to run on high. .. i want to guess and say insulate red wire and go with the black and the white but i surely dont want to be guessing and tear up this motor. Thanks!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Your question makes me wonder why you don't hard wire the fan to 2 switched wires allowing you to be able to use both speeds as needed.