Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

My ceiling fan lights are strobing/flashingJA: Sometimes

Customer Question

my ceiling fan lights are strobing/flashing
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: they are blinking at a constant, but fast, rate
JA: Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: I took the lighting housing off the fan and there is no wattage limiter/governor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. How many lights are flashing? Have you done anything recently, like installing a dimmer or installing LED lamps?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are two bulbs and they are both flashing. They are LED bulbs and they have been installed for nearly a year. I haven't done anything recently, no dimmer or anything else.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
You'll need to check the connections in the canopy. Most times when installed the fan leads are wired using the factory strips on the wire. It isn't long enough to make a good connection. Stranded wire needs to be longer than the solid wire in a wirenut. A bad connection will eventually fail because of arcing. Arcing causes flickering.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That makes sense. However, this isn't flickering. This is a perfect strobing. Meaning it's 100% of the time and the timing of the on/off cycles is symmetric and cyclical. Flickering caused by an arc is usually intermittent. I do realize that shorts can occur over time, but just to note this is not a new installation and nothing has been changed. I have seen that the wattage limiter in ceiling fans can cause this, but there is NO limiter in the lighting housing of the fan as shown in numerous locations online.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Can you temporarily install traditional incandescent light bulbs and see if the strobing stops?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I tried both incandescent and CFL (currently using LED)s and they all strobe. Well, the CFL does its best impression of strobing anyway.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
OK, Thanks for confirming that. 1) The only other option that I can recommend is to remove the light kit (if it can be removed) from the fan housing and temporarily wire it to a different circuit using an extension cord and see if the strobing stops. If the trouble follows, then there is an internal issue with the light kit. If the strobing goes away, then an issue with some loose wire connections either inside the fan wiring harness or the branch circuit.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.