Steven Parent
Steven Parent,
Experience:  Journeymen Electrician at Harvey's Electric Industrial Maintenance & Contracting Ltd.
92448011

I have a Honeywell swich with 3 wires: black, blue, and white.

Customer Question

I have a Honeywell swich with 3 wires: black, blue, and white. The swich box has 2 wires: Black and white. The manual says put the black with the blue (load) and put the whites together (neutral). I'm left with a black wire on the swich that I don't know where to put.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Please provide me with the model number of the Honeywell switch or timer? 2) How many individual wires and the wires colors inside the wall box? 3) What type of switch was originally installed at the wall box? A single pole or a 3-way or other? 4) What wire colors were terminated to the original switch?
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Your question is 5 days old. I can't provide an answer to your question until you provide me with answers to my questions. I will opt out of the question and place it back to the open board. No need to reply back to me. You will be notified when another electrical expert picks up the question. Thanks.
Expert:  Steven Parent replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** will be happy to answer your electrical question If you only have 2 wires inside your switch box (black and white) then the white is the line (would go to the black of your switch) and black in the load (would go to the blue of your switch). You do not have a neutral inside this box. If this switch requires a neutral wire, you won't be able to install it. Unless there is other wiring inside the box. Whenever you see only 2 wires inside a light switch box, the white is coming down hot from the ceiling box, and then switching the black back to the light. Let me know if there is anything else you need.