Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Pearl JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I replaced a light in our guest bathroom. The light stays ON, even though the switch is OFF
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Electrician should know?
Customer: The light switch is next to the bathroom fan switch. The fan switch works (eg it turns OFF and ON), but the light stays ON regardless of the position of the switch
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
hi ...........to make it simple you have to wire both the light switch and the fan switch the exact same way.....there might be a pigtail on the feed wire to the fan switch.....you might have by-passed the light switch and wired it constant hot...........where does the feed come in at the switches box or the ceiling fan box?............if you still are confused a couple of pictures of the wiring boxes would help me to guide you better so we know what is what ........thank youeddie
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Eddie. Give me a minute...I'll send some pics
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
In this picture, the fan switch is in the background (or on the left if looking from the front), and the switch in the foreground is the light. The circuit breaker is closed, and the light remains ON regardless of switch position. The fan switch operates properly (OFF/ON).
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Did you get the picture?
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
yes I did thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you tell what the problem is from the picture? What should I do?
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
what do you mean when you say the circuit breaker is closed ?...........you mean off? .........then the light stays on and then the fan doesn't work ?...........did you have a fan/light combo there before? and you wired it differently?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I meant that the circuit breaker in ON (...the circuit is closed). As expected, there is power to the circuit. The problem is that the light will not turn OFF at the switch. The bathroom fan operates properly: OFF when the switch is OFF; ON when the switch is ON. But....the light ALWAYS stays ON, regardless of the switch position. This is not a light/fan combination. Each has its own switch, and the switches are right next to each other (see picture sent earlier). Nite that the fan comes on after a minute, when the light is first switched ON -- a common feature in bathrooms.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Picture of box and light
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
on that light...........the wires from it ............what did you hook the white wires to ?.......... and what did you hook the black wires to ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I hooked the lights white wires to the white wire in the box; I hooked the black wires from the light to the black wire in the box; I connected the brass ground from the box to the green screw. There was also an exposed red wire, which I capped
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
okay this is what you need to do ............cap the white wires and connect white to the red wire and the black to the black
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Wow! I thought the red was 220v
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
no it most likely is the switch wire........you would never have 220 coming into a regular fixture
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess that makes sense; at the light switch, a red wire is connected to one of the switch pokes. Must be the same wire that is at the box.
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
yes ...........if you can let me know if this gets you up and running as soon as possible ...........I had to be offline a few minutes ago.....I will wait for you ...........thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will do
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Didn't work. I grounded copper to green screw, connected blacks to black, whites to red, and capped the white from box. Turned breaker ON, and got no light. Fan works properly at switch.
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
I have to go ............I will check back later to see what you decided on the additional service......I am trying my best to figure out what was done here and I need to ask a host of questions