Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Pearl, I'm Steve Ball, I have four recessed lights in my

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I'm Steve Ball, I have four recessed lights in my family room and one wall plug in also in fr that quit working, checked the box and breakers and all seems good, power from all breakers etc. I'm stumped
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?
Customer: also replaced plug in and switch to see if that would fix it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter available?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello yes I do, a multi meter and a tester that does not require direct contact
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no power register in the switch wire for the lights or the plug ins
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) You need a contact type of tester that has 2 wire leads. A non-contact voltage tester will not work in this situation.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
1) At the dead receptacle, measure for the 3 voltage measurements as shown on the diagram below. Let me know the results.