Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have a pool timer that was installed by a previous owner.

Customer Question

I have a pool timer that was installed by a previous owner. It is currently powered by tapping into an existing outdoor GFI outlet. Here's the problem. Pool timer runs as it should and powers everything. However, the GFI outlet (which has nothing plugged into it) only works when the pool timer is in the on position (running the pool pump). I'd like to use this outlet for other things even when the pool pump is not running. What do you think is the problem? Thank you.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. From your description it shows that the GFCI is wired from the timer. You no doubt have a wire that needs to be moved from the load to the line terminal in the timer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's a start. Sorry I've never used this service before. I should have been more specific. Can you tell me which wire you believe to be the issue from the attached photos? Power in from the GFI outlet, timer turns on to power pool pump and pool heater.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
From what I can see, the 3 red wires has one going to the receptacle below. The one on the left needs to be with the red and white on termination #1. I see that who ever wired it did so not using white wires for neutrals. That is a code violation.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ahh, apologies Mike my computer locked up on me. Ok, there are actually two red wires going to the receptacle below. 1 red is connected to terminal 1 and the other is connected to terminal 2. There is also one black wire that connects to terminal 3 and 3 green wires that are together in the wire nut with a green wire from the pool pump and a green wire from the pool heater. Does this help to identify a solution to get my GFI outlet to work full time? I've also attached a diagram that came with the pool timer.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
The diagram makes a big difference. The timer is 240V and the wire colors are correct. Disregard the previous instruction. There should be 2 sets of wires on the GFCI, incoming 120V and load. Check to see where the Line wires come from. Let me know.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Really appreciate it Mike. Is there anyway I can continue this tomorrow? Will you be around? Unfortunately, my computer locking up put me behind and now I have to be at my daughters T-ball game in 20 minutes.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
Anytime, come back when you can.