Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I am assembling a chandelier and I can't figure out the wires

Customer Question

I am assembling a chandelier and I can't figure out the wires inside of it. They are blue and brown and I have one level that I can copy, but this second level is not connected and I'm not completely sure how to connect the wires from the bottom section to the top.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Where was the fixture made, England?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
China :(
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
And thank you for helping!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have pics if that would help
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
OK, I suspect that the Blue is the hot and the Brown is the neutral. I suggest checking with a continuity tester. Also, check the lamp holders to verify they accept an American lamp before going much further.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes they do
Can you help me with connecting these wires within the chandelier? The first pic is the bottom piece already connected. How do I connect the 2 in the third pic?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
After seeing the pictures, the show the blue as the neutral. All bluses will connect to the clear wire with ridges on the edge. The browns and blacks connect to the other clear wire.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There are no blacks
Only blues and Browns
And there are 4 other clear wires. 2 sets
I don't see any ridges
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
The one section looked black. That being so, connect them by color and use the blue as a hot and a brown as a neutral. On the clear wires, the either have ridges on the edge of one of them or possibly the color of the metal in the wire is brass or silver. If the latter use the silver as a neutral. If neither identification are there, you'll need to verify both ends of one with a continuity tester, mark it with white tape or mark with black tape. The black would be the hot.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok thank you...
But there are 4 clear wires. That is the main part I don't understand. Do I connect the two with the brass in it with all of the brown and the 2 without the silver/brass with all of the blue?Or would you simply recommend I call an electrician?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
See here in the pic. On the left piece, there are 2 sets of the clear wires...each with two branching off. 4 total.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
The 2 set are used if you intend to switch each section independently. You can eliminate one set for a single switch application. Use the brass color wire for the hot wire.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There no brass, Mr. Mike. There's a wire with writing and one without. It's the only difference I can see....
Damn chinese
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
Use the one with writing as a neutral and the other as a hot.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
In the fixture brown to writing, blue to clear. In the ceiling, writing to white, clear to black.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You're amazing!
Thank you sooooo much!I will do my best. Pray I don't blow up my house :)
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
You'll be fine. You're welcome.