Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I want to change a 40w 240v light bulb with a bayonet cap.

Customer Question

I want to change a 40w 240v light bulb with a bayonet cap. It unscrewed easily. The problem I've got is screwing a new one in. If I try to turn slowly whilst pushing upwards clockwise then it ends up at a bad angle. It breaks one of the two metal bits sticking out at the bottom of the bulb if I get close to screwing it in all the way. Help. I'll post pictures in next post
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pictures attached
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The new bulbs are exactly the same dimensions as the old. I can't screw the bulb I got out back in either and it's fully intact.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
another picture
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. If you look at the posts, you'll see they are at different distances from the bottom of the lamp. You need to align them to set properly. They should not be hard to turn in. If there is resistance turn the lamp and try inserting it 180 deg from the failed attempt.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. But only very slightly different distances. I just tried again and it broke a metal bit on one side. The issue is when I'm trying to screw in the bulb it's at a 30-35 degrees angle. Eventually it goes near straight but not quite, when I try to get it straight it breaks
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
The lamp needs to go straight in with the pins on a proper alignment. There isn't any other thing to do.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are 2 other lights on the same row of lights. The other two had Kosnic 10w 300k light bulbs in. I removed the middle light bulb and put it back in easily. What I don't understand is the Kosnic bulb that works in the middle row doesn't work in this position (the one I've taken a picture of. But the 40w 240v light bulbs don't fit any of the three positions. Despite the new ones being identical to a bulb that was already in..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
To make this clear. Light 1 had Kosnic (out of life). Light 2 had Kosnic (still had life. Took it out and put it back in. Kosnic doesn't work in position 3). Light 3 was a 40w 240v light bulb with a bayonet cap. The 40w 240v light bulb's won't go into light 1,2 or 3. But the Kosnic won't go into position 3 either, despite being in 1and 2 initially
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Actually ignore the above. The kosnic fits and works in the position I wanted to put the new bulbs. The working bulb works in all three positions. The bayonet cap bulbs don't seem to fit in any position, including the bulb I removed. Very strange
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
Obviously the lamp wasn't the same.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My point is I took a light bulb out of position 3 and it won't go back in the same position. Yet the Kosnic I can screw in and out of all three positions.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
There has to be a difference between the lamps. I'll opt out, there isn't anything more I can add.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well. We don't understand how a bayonet was working previously when the Kosnic is a screw in type light bulb and was in the other two positions. Initially I only checked the light over the table. Is it possible the owner before me somehow jammed a bayonet in and somehow got it to work? Can the same light work with a bayonet or with a screw in type?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What I will do is buy Kosnic's. They will go in fine. I just don't understand how a bayonet cap light bulb was in to start with. Since that was the only one I checked I obviously bought a stock of them, but then I realised the other two were lit up by Kosnic's that screw in easy.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) If the lamps don't screw in correctly, real simple, you have an incompatibility issue with the lamps and the light bulb socket. The lamp is not obviously the same to match the socket as the previous expert suggested. Get the correct lamps for the socket. 2) Or the socket has been destroyed from previously using the incorrect bulb. The problem is one of these.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes. I have managed to get a Kosnic and now a Phillips bulb to work. How is it possible a seemingly incompatible bayonet cap bulb worked? Do you understand? I didn't put these bulbs in previously. I can solve this by buying either of the two bulbs I now have working. It just confuses me. The socket is intact for all 3 positions
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
By I didn't put the bulbs in. I mean the people that owned the house previously did. 2 were kosnic's that screw in, one was a bayonet cap Osram. The Kosnic (that still works) works in all 3 positions, as does the Phillips. I can't even get the Osram back into position. This isn't a joke. I don't know if you can see my voting history but I've never voted anyone under 4 and happy to vote after next serious response
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
And all three worked up until recently (the 2 kosnic's and the osram). Now I have one phillips and one kosnic in position. Although I will be buying 2 more kosnic's so they all match..
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
1) It is just logical that the problem is either the light bulbs that are incompatible with the socket or the internal light bulb socket has been destroyed or there is a manufacturing defect with the light bulbs. There are no other possibilities.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok I'll try to explain one final time, then I will give up and rate. Basically the bayonet cap bulb shouldn't work, but it did. I don't get how. Originally I thought I was being an idiot. But this literally makes no sense. I've got two types of bulb to work that are screw ins, not bayonet caps. The bayonet cap bulbs aren't capable. Nothing is damaged at all. But the Osram bayonet cap bulb somehow worked previously in the same position that the Phillips (Screw in) and Kosnic (screw in) do. Hence i went out and bought bayonet cap bulbs, as there was one originally there. Only to discover they aren't even compatible, so it makes no sense a bayonet cap bulb (that won't even go back in) was there in the first place. This makes no sense. I'll rate you after the next reply. I don't think this is explainable.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. I will opt out of the question and perhaps the 3rd electrical expert who picks up the question can provide you with the same answers as the previous expert and I have provided. Light bulb sockets are only manufactured to accept (1) one type of bayonet or threaded light bulb. No need to rate me as you can rate the next expert if they can support and provide a better answer........Thanks...........Kevin:)