Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 6 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Having issues with coming ceiling fan JA: Thanks. Can you

Customer Question

Having issues with coming ceiling fan
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Light bulb broke because kid accidentally hit it. Now with new light bulb Buzzing when lights turned on and gets progressively louder No buzzing when fan on. Never was this loud before Replaced light kit on the ceiling fan and still same issue
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Electricians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Turn off light after about 30 secs because its so loud in worried it'll blow
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Is the light kit controlled by pull chains or a wall switch? 2) If a wall switch, is the switch a dimmer type or a regular ON/OFF snap switch type? 3) What type of lights bulbs in the light kit? Incandescent or CFL or LED? 4) Please confirm, if the light kit is turned OFF, the fan no longer makes a buzzing noise?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1)it is pull chains but has wall switch as well2)no dimmer, it is regular switch3)it is compact florescent4) when fan on alone, no buzzing. Only when light turns on it buzzes. Slightly louder with fan on.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It worked perfectly fine with maybe slightly low buzzing until the light was busted. Now it's having issues... Wondering if it could be Wattage limiter? Maybe transformer...
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the replies. 1) Does the wall switch over ride and control both the fan and the light kit or is the wall switch only controlling the light kit and the pull chains only control the fan? 2) Does the fan also have a remote control unit? 3) Doubt if the wattage limiter. If a limiter issue and using light bulbs that exceed the rated wattage, the limiter will automatically shut off the lights but will not cause them to buzz. 4) Buzzing in a fan light kit is typically caused by using the incorrect dimmer switch and incompatible light bulbs, but that is not the case in your application since there is no dimmer switch installed. 5) The buzzing noise could also originate from electrical arcing taking place, but then the circuit breaker should automatically trip if a short circuit occurred. 6) Can you temporarily replace the CFL bulb with a traditional incandescent bulb and confirm if the buzzing remains or goes away?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1) wall switch controls entire unit, shuts off both fan and light.2) There is a remote that controls light speed and light but I can use pull chains to control both as well3) i will go to see if I have one...not sure. It runs on two CFL
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
So put in incandescent and it seems that it's quiet. There is still a slight high pitch hum but negligible sound unless it's the only thing on in the room
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for confirming. 1) Some of the cheaper CFL bulbs that are sold in the stores have been known to cause a buzzing noise.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But this is the light bulb that came with light kit. Came with one replacement
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Replaced with brand new Phillips CFL and it still has lots of buzzing
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just wondering as it was quiet before and now it is loud
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
1) It is also possible that the remote receiver may be getting interference from other nearby CFL light bulbs in the area. Remote ceiling fans have been known to not work correctly from other nearby electrical interferences such as CFL light bulbs, wireless internet routers, microwave ovens, garage door openers, etc. 2) Another option would be to temporarily remove the remote receiver if it is located inside the ceiling canopy cover and then use the pull chains to confirm if the trouble remains or goes away. I've been down this road before a few times with remote controlled fans:) 2) If installing an incandescent bulb and the noise goes away, but yet still remains with a new CFL replacement, I would suspect an issue with the remote receiver. The receiver needs to be isolated then to confirm if this is causing the buzzing noise. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll check tomorrow on the receiver...
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
OK,very good
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks.............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.