Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Gfci shutdown

Customer Question

gfci shutdown
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. You say it goes dead and then restores after a period of time, correct?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no we reset it and 5 days or so later it trips out again, and without anything used on that circut, note this is a new gfci, also this is happening on two differt 29amp circut with new gfci
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
20 amp(typo)
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
OK, being more than one circuit it is most likely a connection problem at the panel. I suggest inspecting terminations there to start. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok i can do that tomprrow night, this is in my sons mobile home, i replaced all outlets and switches and put in boxs, their were no gfci in the place, so i located them in the kit and bath by water and outside. this is the two circuts. been chacing this problwm for awhile now, when they triped i would check for loose conection and even replaced two new ones with two more new ones, still many days pass befor they trip again and my son has not used these circut because were just tring to see what will happen. called in a local electric guy yesterday and ne did not fine anything, said he had no voltage drop and usually he might see some. he thought maybe try another brand of gfci. these are smart electronics units-self testing-whats your thoughts on this or the self testing ones, looks like thats all we can buy arround here
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
Make a circuit map. Sketch out the floor plan and Mark the outlets R for receptacles and L for lights. Flip breakers and Mark each with the breaker number. This will give you a complete picture of the circuits. You can now check proceeding outlets when a failure occurres. Doing so may show where any problem is. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have done all of that and could not solve the problem so i call in a local electrican, he could not tell me whats wrong either, what your input on self testing gfci-any issues?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
Self testing....they either have an LED to show power or one to show tripped. That should be all that is needed. Self testing won't tell you what is happening ahead of the outlet any more than that LED's will do. Do a map to be able to test proceeding outlets.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
alright lets try this a different way. this is path on one of the 20amp circut with gfci trip problems,This is a kit sink counter area. Panel to outlet, to gfci, to gfci(on the line side I ran to a toggle that goes to a outlet for the garbage disposal unit), to outet.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
note: all new outlets, switches and gfci at the proper 20amp units
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 months ago.
If it trips, there is a fault ahead of it. If it just looses power the problem is ahead of it. When utilizing anything on the circuit that trips it you need to check that item. Installing separate GFCI's on each outlet not dependant on one ahead of it will make it I dependant and it will only trip when a faulty item is plugged into it.