Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Installing a ceiling fan and noticed that the Romex has black/brown

Customer Question

Installing a ceiling fan and noticed that the Romex has black/brown instead of black/white. Should I just go black/blue to black and white to brown?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: The fact that what I assume is the neutral wire in the Romex is brown and not white.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Electrician before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that's it. Thx.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) NM Romex cable never contains a brown wire. The brown wire is a discolored white neutral wire. 2) Splice the fan black and the light kit blue wires to the house black wire and the fan white neutral to the house brown/white neutral wire. Reply back to me and let me know how you make out and we can take if from there if necessary..........Thanks..........Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks................Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks.............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.