Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 6 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

What code allows you to install GFCI breakers to provide ground

Customer Question

What code allows you to install GFCI breakers to provide ground short protection for outlets on two wire ungrounded circuits?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) National Electrical Code (NEC) Article 406.4(D)(2) Non-Grounding Type Receptacles allows the use of 3 prong receptacles and GFCI protection on branch circuits that do not contain an equipment grounding conductor. This allows 2 prong (un-grounded receptacles) to be replaced with 3 prong receptacles. The GFCI only provides protection against a potential shock hazard. Adding a GFCI will not provide a ground on a 2 wire circuit since an equipment grounding conductor does not exist. 2) The NEC allows either GFCI circuit breakers or GFCI devices to provide this form of protection.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
No problem, glad to assist. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks.............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks.............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.