Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have 3 floodlights in my front yard. One night they just

Customer Question

I have 3 floodlights in my front yard. One night they just went out, as though I turned them off. I turned that light switch off to be safe. I want to get the things out of the ground. I backed over one with the lawn mower and broke the conduit pipe that feeds the wiring into the metal junction box where the wires are wire nutted together. Connections are fine. The insulated wiring is exposed but the insulation is fine. We've had some heavy rains and I'm wondering if any water gets into the conduit pipe if that itself causes any danger. Thank you
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) As you are aware of, water and electricity do not mix well together and this can present a potential safety issue. 2) If the conduit cannot be repaired ASAP, I recommend to leave the circuit breaker in the OFF position and cover up the junction box and/or open conduit with plastic to prevent any water from flowing into the box and/or conduit. 3) Exposed wires can also present a safety issue to anybody who comes into immediate contact with the wires if the circuit remains energized but no protective conduit and/or an open junction box. If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks.............Kevin:)