Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

We just had an small serving area ( consisting of dishwasher,

Customer Question

We just had an small serving area ( consisting of dishwasher, sink, and small refrig and a curved serving island. The local boro codes officer says that All outlets in the serving area and the new bathrooms must be GFCI. The electrican who installed the outlets contends that GFCI outlets are ony required within 6 ft of the sink. Without an NEC code to support either of these two beliefs we are uncertain of where to stand? Can you help us with specific referral to NEC code that should prevail.?
Thank you
Jay Malthaner, Trustee, Kennett SQuare Presbyterian church
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. If in a commercial location your electrician is correct but installing GFCI protection would be acceptable and in my estimation a good idea. You can always exceed code requirements, they are only a minimum.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
MikeWould you kindly ref. the specific NEC written code. I appreciate knowing you agree with the electrician but I need the actual code ref. to give to the boro auditor? Would you pls provide.Thank you *****
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
Art 210.8. A serving area would be considered an employee break romm and wouldn't require GFCI's other than 6 ft from the sink.