Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I am trying to wire a 220v Jacuzzi bath tub. The tub was previously

Customer Question

I am trying to wire a 220v Jacuzzi bath tub. The tub was previously installed and has the plug on the end of the wire. I was told i needed 10-3 wire, my main question is the neutral wire going to be used? Also what size gfci breaker do I need, 20, or 30 amp? I believe the Jacuzzi uses 110, & 220 for the heater
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. 10/3 would require a 30A GFCI breaker. The neutral is needed for the control circuits along with any other 120V loads.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
Actual nameplate info would be nice.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Here is a picture of the plug, and different plates. Is it a 110 or a 220?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would it be a single pole or double pole GFCI breaker?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
The name plate indicates a 120V for 2100W.That calculates to just over 20A. You'll need a 30A single pole GFCI.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So, is the 10-3 w/ground wire OK, or do I need 12-2 w/ground? On the plug I should wire it black-hot, neutral-white, ground-bare, the same way I would wire a regular 110 plug?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
10/3 wire. The red wire gets a green tape for identification as a ground. The bare ground isn't used. Code requires an insulated ground wire.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Starting to make sense now! What confused me was an electrician told me I needed a double pole 30 amp gfci. Something to do with the heater running and being split. To recap; I need a 1" 30 amp, 120 vac GFCI breaker, 10-3 wire with red taped with green for ground, going to a 20 amp 250 volt plug? I appreciate your help!!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
The nameplate only mentioned 120V. If there is a heater it wasn't included.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I sent the picture I will resend, I sent two pictures the heater, and bath pump, did you get them both?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
OK, it only draws 9 Amps and can be on the same 120V circuit.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Final recap I hope;
I need a 1" 30 amp 120 vac GFCI breaker, 10-3 wire with red taped with green for ground, going to a 20 amp 250 volt plug? The green taped red wire goes from the plug ground screw to the bus bar? And the the gfci curly white wire goes to the bus bar also? The bare copper wire should be clipped and not used?
If this all sounds correct I got it, thanks to you!!!
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
The only thing is that you need a 30A plug.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
So this is the wrong plug (pictured), it is what was installed on the power cord from the tub by the previous owner. It says 20A 250V. The 30 amp plugs I've seen look like a dryer/stove cord
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Or do I need something like this?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Or should it just be hardwired in a electrical pop box, and bypass the plug altogether?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 11 months ago.
That would be advisable.