Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I just purchased a new fan. My ceiling has these wires:

Customer Question

I just purchased a new fan.
My ceiling has these wires: White, Bare, Red and Black.
My fan has white, green, black and blue.
I installed it like the instructions said, white to white, green to bare and green, and then black and blue to black and just capped the red off but this didn't work.
So then I connected white to white, green to bare and green, black to black and red to blue and now the light works but not the fan.
So I then switched it around and did black to blue and red to black and nothing happened and the light didn't work nor the fan.
Then I tried to out both black and the red and blue together but that did nothing.
So now I reverted back to the one where the light works but not the fan:
Any advice as to why the fan will not work? I have tried every combination known to man of the wires.
I have one light switch controlling everything? Should I maybe replace the single switch to a double control?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) How will you be controlling the fan and the light kit? Do you have a wall switch that will control the fan and/or light kit? A) Wall switch over riding both the fan and light kit. Both will be controlled by pull chains? or B) Fan has a remote control but the wall switch will over ride the remote? or C) Wall switch will control light and pull chain will control the fan? or D) No wall switch and fan/light will both be controlled by pull chains? 2) How many wires and the wire colors that are terminated to the wall switch? 3) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester (a contact type) or an AC voltmeter if needed?