Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I upgraded a dining room light to a lighted ceiling fan, i

Customer Question

I upgraded a dining room light to a lighted ceiling fan, i did not realize that a switch loop was set up and when i installed the ceiling fan my dinning room light switches now control my kitchen lights
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
HI James we will have to trace the wires............if you could open the box and put each cable to a side and up load a couple of pictures it would help us immensely
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok i will work on uploading some pictures,To give you some information now.The ceiling junction box has 3 sets of wires (3 black, 3 white, 3 ground and 1 solid red) and there are 2 dining room switches.The 1st dining room switch has a dimmer on it and it has 1 black, 1 solid red and 1 white marked with red.2 dining room switch has 1 ground, 1 black, 1 solid red and 1 whited marked with red.I have a voltage meter and identified the black in the ceiling box that is the hot.I have a continuity tester and have traced what wires match up in the ceiling box and the switch boxes.There is an outdoor light switch next to the 2nd dining room switch that has wires with continuity to the ceiling box.The outdoor light switch has 1 ground and 2 black, 1 of the black has continuity to the solid red wire in the ceiling box.The 1st dining room switches black wire has continuity to the solid red wire in the ceiling box and the switches solid red wire has continuity to the black wire in the ceiling box. The switches white wire marked red has no continuity to the ceiling box.The 2nd dining room switches black wire has continuity to the same black wire in the ceiling box bax as the 1st dining room switch. The switches solid red and white wire marked red has no continuity to the ceiling box.I tried explaining everything as best as i could.
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
a pigtail light would help us too if you have one or maybe the old fixture socket apart if you won't be using it again a pigtail looks like this ............http://www.amazon.com/Pass-Seymour-201CC12-Pigtail-Applications/dp/B000BQPIT6 I have to go offline now ........if you want to get those things together we can pick this up again tomorrowthankseddie
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not have a pigtail light and i had given the fixture away already
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
if you want to pick one up it's only a few dollars ............it is going to save you a lot of up and down the ladder...........turning on the switches.........testing with a testerand a question...........did you install a ceiling fan bracket and took all the wires apart and that is why the confusion ............and do you know of some wires that go back the way they werelast can you trace the feed wire and mark which one it isThanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I separated all the wires and marked which one i the hot.The original light fixture had 3 sockets, each with a black and white going to it.When i hooked everything back up i put all black to black and all white to white and put the solid red wire to the blue wire on the fan. The fan lights worked fine with the dimmer and the fan worked by the pull chain. The kitchen lights worked only if i turned on the dining room switch. And it was not like that before.There are 3 sets of lights being affected, 2 different sets of kitchen lights and my outdoor light.They should all work independently.
When i was tracing the wires in the ceiling box i found that some had continuity to the dinning room switches and the outdoor light switch. When i turn the power on the outdoor switch does not have power to it.
So i am guessing that the power in the ceiling box provided power to the dinning room, 2 sets of kitchen lights and the out door light and when i hooked up the new fixture i didn't put the loop back together correctly.
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
I know you did a lot to try and explain all of this but it made it more confusing........but hopefully it is this simple...........the red wire you have coming in the box from the dimmer connects to the light along with the black wire from the dimmer ......the neutrals should already be connected........you can't use it to the blue wire for the new fan because you only had one switch operating the old dining room light .............I know the red was probably confusing as a 14-3 romex to operate two devices (fan/light combo) but you'll have to pair the white you had connected with another wire to operate the switch for the kitchen or exterior light
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, i am at work now but i will try to get the pictures uploaded soon
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I dont use the dimmer at all, and i dont care if i have it or not. To remove that function, is it as simple as replacing the switch with a non dimmer one?
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
the white wire you have connected to the fan/light is a switch wire for something other ........you'll have to test it........best thing to do it try to remember how it went before or look for a certain twist as an indicator...............but what is marked off at the dimmer ( you said a red piece of tape around it?) and the box wold illustrate it is used for the light..............................we might have to do the rest by phone and JA requires an additional premium service charge which could be upward of 20 would you be okay with this ?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is that a 20 dollar fee for every phone call or until the issue is resolved?
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.
I'm not sure JA does any billing...............what I suggest is when you get home today try doing what I said and if that doesn't work then we might have to go for the service.......it is just a matter of changing two switch wires............test the red and the black on the light first and make sure it switches because it is a line and load from the dimmer that's why I think someone marked it with red tape
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, i will try that.The house was only built in 2003 and i know nothing was changed until i put the fan in.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here are pictures of both switches and tge wiring coming from the ceiling box
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The black wire coming from the ceiling marked with the green tape is the hot one when the power is on, the wires going to the switches are color coded with tape to the marked wires in the ceiling box that have continuity
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The first picture with the 2 switches pulled out of the box, the left switch is the outdoor light and the right switch is the dinning room switch
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The white wires going in to the switches are marked red with paint
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I also picked up a pig tail light
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got a hold of the guy who i gave the old fixture too and he had not installed it yet, here are pictures of the old fixture