Russell H., Service Technician
Experience:  Educated decades ago in electrical quantities and devices, I have practiced professionally in the field ever since.
13568747

I want to use a square d drum switch to reverse a 120v. , 6

Customer Question

I want to use a square d drum switch to reverse a 120v. , 6 wire single phase motor. I can not find any diagram to actually tell me how to hook it up.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I am using a square d # ***** to reverse a baldor 1 1/2 hp 120 volt single phase motor. The diagram I need someone to tell me which number wires go to the numbered postions on the switch.
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Electrician before I connect you two?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello---anybody home?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The motor is just 6 wires. # ***** 8 connect together and 2,4 ,5 connect together. I need to
interchange 5 and 8 to get it to reverse. --- Common on most motors. I just can not seem to work out
how to hook this to the square D switch.Thanks for your help. I am going to bed.Greg.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. For what it is worth, others have been puzzled also, by this model of Square D drum switch, the 2601AG2. Here's some basic information: The Drum Switch has 6 terminalsForward:1 and 3 together2 and 4 together5 and 6 togetherReverse1 and 2 together3 and 4 together5 and 6 togetherOffAll terminals are open In other words, 5 and 6 are connected unless the switch is Off. So that's for any connection that is needed to be the same way when 'On' regardless of direcion. For the other terminal pairs, there's a 'common' terminal, and then two other terminals that are switched between depending upon Forward or Reverse position. Call them the Common, Fwd, and Rev terminals: 1st:Common: 1Fwd: 3Rev: 2 2nd:Common: 4Fwd: 2Rev: 3 What's confusing about this is, the 1st and the 2nd have a terminal between them, the 3 and the 2: in Fwd, 3 goes to 1st, 2 goes to 2nd. In Rev, 2 goes to 1st and 3 goes to 2nd. I admit I'm not clear how to use this switch, but each position must correspond to something in the motor wiring, according to whether the motor is to run Fwd, or in Rev.