Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have an older home with fuses. I continuously have power

Customer Question

I have an older home with fuses. I continuously have power surges. Flickering lights, TV off. Not everything goes out. NSP came yesterday and said the connection was strong, and everything looked good. He did change the connection from the house to the pole outside, but said all was good. We have noticed a crackling sound from the meter, of course the crackling sound didn't happen. Still having surges.
PLEASE HELP
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. 1) Flickering lights and arcing/sizzling noises are an indication of a loose connection and this can create a potentially hazardous situation. The outside meter contains a LINE side and a LOAD side connection from the utility wires to the house fuse box. The fuse box also contains terminations from the LOAD side of the meter. All 3 of these termination points need to be visually inspected and properly torqued to the meter socket and fuse box spec's. The terminations also need to be checked for any signs of corrosion which can result in a loose termination and light flickering can occur. The problem can also reside at the utility transformer. 2) I recommend to contact the utility and request that they dispatch a service tech or contact a locally licensed electrician to confirm if the wires are properly tightened and torqued according to the meter socket and/or fuse box spec's. 3) I recommend to contact either the utility or an electrician ASAP due to potential safety reasons. 4) In the interim, I recommend to un-plug all sensitive electronics such as TV's, electronics, computers and even the fridge to avoid any complications from a power surge until the problem can be corrected. Unstable voltages can easily destroy sensitive electronics in the home.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks..............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.
If you have any additional questions, just let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you. Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off. Thanks...............Kevin:)
Expert:  Kevin replied 7 months ago.