Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience

I was looking at a house to rent that was built in the late

Customer Question

I was looking at a house to rent that was built in the late 50's. It does not have grounded outlets. Is this a concern with today's appliances and electronics? Can you explain to me the purpose for having a ground? Is this a hazard issue with fires and short circuits? What would be your opinion of this house being safe or not. I'm mainly concerned for my computer, HDTV, and guitar amplifiers.
Thank you,
Larry P.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. Depending on the wiring method employed, you may have a ground available at the outlet but not connected to a grounded device. The ground is a safety for the circuit allowing the over current device to trip is there is a short to ground. Testing with a 2 wire voltage tester from the hot to the box will show 120V if there is a ground. To install a grounded device would require a jumper from the box to the ground screw. Should there not be a ground, the installation of a GFCI device at the lead of the circuit would allow grounded devices to be installed. The outlets would need to be identified as protected without a ground. Labels are in the box with the device when purchased.