Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer

I want to wire a 50amp rv cord to a breaker box to add 240v

Customer Question

I want to wire a 50amp rv cord to a breaker box to add 240v to my park model for a dryer. Then just plug cord into 50 amp rv reciptical. Should I use a 100 amp breaker box then two pole 30am for dryer?
JA: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else I can tell the Electrician before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-724lcq13- replied 6 months ago.
50 amps will be sufficient for the park model. 2p 30amp is correct on the dryer. Do you have space in the breaker box inside the park model to add a 2p 30 breaker for the dryer?That is the real question here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The park model /travel trailer is plugged into the 30am rv reciptical. I want use the 50amp reciptical and add another circuit. My understanding is the to hots from the 50amp rv cord is are 120v 50amp each. So can I wire those to power a 100 amp breaker box and wire white and ground to busbar. Then put proper breaker in and wire dryer as 220?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Waiting on an answer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not trying rush you. I just have to go to work.
Here is the proper way to do this. Install a 4 wire 50 amp receptacle to plug into. Make sure the wire size for that receptacle is minimum of #8 copper. It also needs to be on a 50 amp circuit breaker. Next make sure your cord is rated for 50 amp. It needs to be 4 wire #8 copper cord.If it is you are good to go. At your breaker box in the RV the white wire(neutral) should be on the neutral bar, the 2 "hots" terminate on Line 1 and Line 2 lugs one to each, and the green ground wire is placed on the grounding separate from the white. On an older Rv you may find the whites and green or bare on the same bar and not separated. The current code now requires the white neutral to be on its own termination bar and not bonded to the breaker box. The ground bar IS bonded to the metal of the breaker box, usually with a screw. Now that you have done that, it is ok to plug in the additional 30 amp breaker for your dryer. This is about as detailed as I can describe this. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand all that and thanks. The shore power is already there with the 50amp breaker and reciptical. I have the proper 50amp rv cord. I want to run another circuit from there. Are the two hot wires from the 50amp reciptical 120v @50amp each? Should I use a 100 amp breaker box for the new circuit?
Yes the 100 amp box will be fine even though you are feeding with 50 amps. The 2 hot wires from the 50 amp receptacle are 120volt 50 amp each and 220/240 volts between them. The hots are on differnt phases thats why you read 220 between them yet 120 volts if you read them to ground or the white neutral. Your water heater will only need 2 hots and the ground for the 30 amp 220. The wire size to run for the water heater will be #10. I would use a 10-2 NM romex for that. Some like to install a 30 amp plug for the water heater and use a 30 amp 3 wire appliance cord on the water heater so you can plug it in, hardwired is ok too., just be sure to label the breaker in the breaker box.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thanks for all the info
You are welcome.