Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I have a USI smoke detector model 1208 installed by the buillder

Customer Question

I have a USI smoke detector model 1208 installed by the buillder in 2009. It was working fine until I changed the battery with a brand new battery. Now it is chirping.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: That is it
JA: Anything else I can tell the Electrician before I connect you two?
Customer: That is all there is
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Electrician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is this in a residential home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you cannot answer here I want my $5 refunded
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are there several other detectors in the home, which are all hardwired together?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know how they are hardwired but my guess is yes
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. When you have a chirping unit among several that are hardwired together, it is recommended to replace all of the batteries. The chirping is to let you know that there is a low battery, but it may not be in the unit you replaced the battery in. It could be any one of the detectors.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If replacing all batteries does not resolve the problem, then a faulty unit is the cause of the chirping.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is only the first one after I replaced the battery with a new battery. It beeps even if I place the old battery back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am relatively certain it is not a faulty unit since it was working before I changed the battery.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The hardwired detectors will also beep when there is a fault on the internal circuit board. That is to let you know that the unit needs to be replaced, with the assumption being that you have already tried a new battery. But I'll put your question back on the board, for the other electricians to review.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and I'll be assisting you. I suggest checking the direction of the battery. If installed in reverse polarity it will chirp.